Correspondent: Jenny Sparkes email@example.com
Aisle Community Lunches in February will be on the 11th and 25th at 12 noon at St Dubricius. The meals are cooked by Woods of Whitchurch. Come and join us. To book, ring 01600 890397.
Good Neighbour Coffee morning will be in the Memorial Hall on February 6th and 20th from 10.30 to 12noon. Do drop in for coffee and a chat.
‘Tea and Chat’ is held in the Aisle at St Dubricius on Thursdays from 2 – 4pm. This is open to all and a warm welcome awaits you.
Whitchurch Floral Society will meet on February 13th at 6.45 for their AGM. This will be followed with a talk by Chris Evans of Dundry Nurseries entitled ‘An Unexpected Journey’
Bingo at the Old Court is on Tuesday 5 February at 7 for 7.30pm.
MEMORIAL HALL ACTIVITIES Ceilidh Saturday 2nd February Ceilidh at 7pm with The Plump Hill Band. See separate advert on page 6.
Friday 22nd February Flicks showing of Mama Mia! Here We Go Again. The long awaited and very upbeat “prequel/sequel” to Donna and Sophie’s stories, a feelgood warm hearted romp with fabulous scenery and more Abba hits. 1hr 49 minutes of toe tapping fun.
Doors open at 7pm for licensed bar, 7.30 pm start. Entry £5
Coffee Morning There will be a St David’s Day Coffee morning at St Dubricius
on 1st March at 10.30. All welcome.
Travelling Light are holding a Refocus Retreat ‘Freedom to Grow’ at the Wyesham Christian Fellowship on 23rd February. Details from Robin 01600 890376
History of St. Dubricius Church
The parish church is one of the oldest in the Deanery of Ross and Archenfield; Its foundations date from the 9th century and the oldest part goes back to the 13th century.
The church is in the Decorated style of architecture with walls of local sandstone rubble and ashlar and the roof of stone slates.
The bowl of the font is Norman in origin, the lower edge being cut away to octagonal form to fit a 14th or 15th century stem with a square base. The church was enlarged in Victorian times.
Outstanding examples of locally-produced needlecraft and tapestries decorate the church.
St. Dubricius lived in Herefordshire in 6th century and founded monasteries which were centres of learning. Legend has it he had a miraculous birth.
The tulip tree near the south porch is reputed to be over 300 years old and blooms every year in June and July.
The Aisle, St. Dubricius church
Gwillim Grave Enclosure
The west side of the churchyard contains the Gwillim tomb. The Gwillims, who owned the Old Court, Whitchurch from 1600 to 1868, were benefactors of the church. Thomas Gwillim, who built the grave enclosure, had from his family of six only one grandchild, Elizabeth Posthuma, who was the daughter of his son Colonel Thomas Gwillim. Elizabeth was a remarkable woman who at 19 years old married John G. Simcoe, future first Governor of Upper Canada and founder of Toronto.
More information on